Saturday, January 21, 2012

Irons

I never thought in my life I would be interested and talking about irons.  I have never been particularly good at ironing.  I thought that I was pretty good until a boyfriend at college told me that I was horrible at ironing.  I mean really, should others complain when you are helping them out???  Talk about bad manners.  After that comment I was a little self conscience about ironing things.  In fact I usually sneak my stuff in my Brad’s dry cleaning pile to get it ironed.  I use my iron about one time every other month (that actually might be stretching it).  I know, sad.  I am a horrible mom and wife.
Now having said that, when sewing, you use your iron a lot!  Thursday night I went to iron some fabric for a project and guess what?  My iron would not work.  It had been working off and on, but I thought it was just old.   My parent bought it for me when I left for college about 20 years ago.  It is also not a very nice or expensive iron, but when you don’t really iron it is awesome.  Yesterday I checked out irons online to see what I should expect to spend, and which irons got good reviews.  I also checked if the irons are carried at the closest Wal-Mart.  I was excited to see that they are carried at there, and the internet showed that they are in stock.  I drove to the Wal-Mart, which is about 30min. away, and guess what???  The irons are not there.  Not only were they not there, but they have at least 12 irons on display and only 4 irons in stock!  I thought really!!!  They would not even sell me a display model.  After some tears (I know, I don’t know why there are teas over an iron, but there were) I drove myself home, and Brad had to go shopping to get an iron.  By the way, my new iron is awesome, and my husband rocks!


My new awesome iron and my old iron.  Is is my imagination or have irons come a long way in 20 years?

That is not the end of the story.  Here is the real kicker.  I flushed out the iron over the laundry room sink, using the plug by the sink (iron working) before using the iron.  I then plugged the iron into the wall ironing board plug, and the iron is now not working???  I thought WHAT??? Well, it turns out that my old iron works perfectly fine and my new iron works just fine also when using any other plug that the ironing board plug, but since I hardly ever use that plug I did not realize that it has a short.  This explains why my old iron would work sometime and not others.  Something like this also happened with my washer and dryer, so this was not the first time.  I wanted to get this posted this last night, but I needed a glass or two of wine…

No comments:

Post a Comment